Friday, 21 April 2017

Success!

I was able to retrieve my figures for the project from the store as planned - woo-hoo!

However, during their transportation after the rescue, I realised that a bunch of them had not been magna-based, so I'm rectifying that before using them.

I also got the four urban areas that I showed in this post, but couldn't find the desert sheet I bought ... I do have a substitute to use for that.

This week I bought from Supreme Littleness Designs two packs of their 25mm terrain lengths, one straight and one curved. My intention is to use them for rivers - hopefully one side painted as water the other for a dry riverbed ... we'll see how that goes!

Thursday, 13 April 2017

Cunning Plan ...

As tomorrow is a bank holiday here in England - and therefore sure to rain heavily - I'm intending to visit the storage where all my figures are and get my Turkemenistanian stuff out.

So I need to get the figures, the bits of terrain I've done and the sheet I bought to use for deserts so I can try a couple of rulesets out. I didn't put my camera in the store so hopefully there will be some substantive posts here soon.

However, I've been meaning to do this for several weekends in a row now, but the imbibing of quantities of Guinness on Friday evenings has prevented most Saturdays mornings being tolerable for me ... hopefully as tomorrow is a Friday it will be ok! :)

Monday, 10 April 2017

Hiatus - longer than planned!

As I'm currently in the midst of selling one home and buying another, all my wargames stuff is in storage at present ...

Unfortunately, this means that this project is on a much longer than planned hiatus ...

My eagerness for the project has not declined at all, and I've bought Rory Crabb's Armoured Strike as another set of rules to use ... maybe one day, I'll actually play a game!

Thursday, 20 October 2016

Back seat & terrain purchase

As the Wessex Wargamers Winchester Club's Back of Beyond campaign (as run by Jim of Jim's Wargames Workbench) has just started, this imagi-nation project will have to - unfortunately - take a back seat until my White Russian force for that campaign has been finished. Hopefully that won't take long as I have half-a-dozen cavalry to finish painting and the rest of the force's bases to do.

Meanwhile, I've bought some bits for terrain for this project. From Supreme Littleness Designs, I've bought their 10mm terrain base pack to use as roads; below is a pic (from their website) showing what's in the pack (doesn't include the building or figures!)
I'm very pleased with this pack - it's a lot of stuff for £6!  I might get another pack to paint as rivers, or maybe I'll use some of this pack ... really not sure at the moment!

Tuesday, 18 October 2016

Some Finished!

As I mentioned in the post I just made on my other blog, I've been doing the bases for some of the mini's for this project. I've managed to do quite a few, but will have to put the rest on pause for a while, for reasons explained in the post I linked to above.

Here are pics of what I've finished so far
Timoni armoured recon company
Timoni armoured company
Timoni mechanised infantry company
Timoni 40mm Bofors, tows & 120mm mortars
Well, when I say finished, what I mean is not quite finished! but all I have left to do is some coloured unit markings on the edge of the bases and the national insignia* on the vehicles, so not much!

* - actually a small purple blob for the Timoni forces!

Monday, 17 October 2016

More Progress Made

Over the week since I last posted, I've made quite a bit of progress on this project.  One of the things I did, was start the bases for some settlements and then place the buildings on to see what they would look like.

In the 2 pics below you can see the 'towns'. The church in the left picture isn't finished as yet, but all the other buildings are. I need to add some roads to the bases, I'm not sure what to do at the moment, but I think I'll just paint them on,
The two pics below show the 'villages' - basically just smaller bases with fewer buildings.
This next pic has some of the 'reinforcements' I've painted recently, including the 'moving' bases for the Timoni 120mm mortars, more 'moving' bases for the Pumbaanish ATGs and some company command bases

And finally for this post, group shots of both sides with their bases 'sanded'. Not particularly good pics perhaps, but still indicators of progress
Pumbaanish Timoni

Monday, 10 October 2016

Nothing to see here ...

The clue is in the title ... no pics for this post!

I did make progress over the weekend, managing to add sand to all my 3mm 'Wars of Turkmenistania' figures. I've also 'sanded' some bases for the buildings so I can have some BUA areas.

My small Warbases order arrived on saturday morning - the usual speedy service from them - so the bases for the towed Pumbaanish ATGs were there for me to stick the mini's on and undercoat them.

All good progress, but it doesn't matter how soon they're all ready as I have no terrain for them to fight on! I'm not that bothered by this - if push comes to shove, I'll use books, etc, on  the table as I have a cloth to cover them.

So remaining steps are (in particular order):

  • put some scatter on the mini's bases to break up the sand
  • satin varnish the minis
  • create some terrain
I'm going to use 5Core Company Command for my first game and I already have a scenario in mind:
  A Pumbaanish company-sized force has been ordered to seize a Timoni customs post & hold long enough for a secret police unit to 'disappear' inside Timoni, for reasons that the assaulting company does not need to know ...

  Timoni Defence Ministry has intelligence that Pumbaaskaya forces will raid a border post, but not which one ... units have been sent to reinforce multiple locations; as a result they are not as strong as could have been hoped ...